Thursday, August 16, 2007

Take me home country road

Monday July 2

Today I drove from Spruce Knob to the parents' abode outside Philadelphia. Once I exited West Virginia, it largely became the typical mass of undifferentiated interstates where the only things that change from one exit to the next are the labels on the hotels, eateries, and gas stations (which are repeated every 2-4 exits anyway...)

Wednesday July 4

After spending the 3d visiting with the folks, I headed homeward, still following the Appalachians to some rough extent. The day was gray and often rainy. It started with a drive up the Delaware Valley, including the Delaware Water Gap, and a near miss to the New Jersey High Point, which I did not visit since it was thunderstorming at the time.

The drive continued up into the Catskills of New York, including passing through Ashokan, site of a well-known traditional dance camp.

The drive came to a merciful end in Hudson, NY, where, at least in part due to the weather, I decided motelling was better than camping.

Home (or at least, Herself's home, as I was still homeless) was reached on the 5th.

No comments: