Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Zion National Park: Kolob Canyon

I spent 2 1/2 days hiking around the lower reaches of Kolob Canyon, in the northern section of Zion National Park. (Apparently the upper reaches of the canyon are a real canyoneering challenge, not without some risks. Fear not, I wasn't there.)


The principal hiking feature to see in this canyon is the Kolob Arch, one of the longest arches in the world. It's a 13-mile round trip to the arch, and many people make that trek in one day. I opted to do some camping, since that would give some time to explore further up the canyon.

I started the day by driving along the road that provides pullouts and views of the lower canyon areas, where an obliging ranger captured me and Bear.



The first 3 miles or so of the hike are a trek down to Kolob Creek, and a set of falls.



After another 2.5 miles, I reached my assigned camp site, and proceeded from there the last mile up to the arch, which is in a side canyon feeding into Kolob Canyon. In addition to the arch itself, you can see arches-under-construction in various places. You can also see turkeys in the underbrush...



The next day I headed further up Kolob Canyon, the goal being the ominously-named Bear Trap Canyon. Fear not, Bear managed to enjoy the hike, in spite of many stream crossings. (I was unable to capture Bear cavorting in the falls -- let's just say that Bear is a bit water-averse, and there were no dry spots nearby that could be used to effect.) The side canyon was so narrow that there was still snow present in it...



The rest of the afternoon was spent hunting for wildlife...

No comments: