Monday, July 27, 2009

Los Angeles

Los Angeles, March 7-9










I drove from Carrizo Plain over to I-5, which brought me over the Tejon Pass to the Castaic Lake State Recreation Area, just north of the San Fernando Valley. The lake is one terminus of the California Aqueduct, which supplies much of the Los Angeles area with drinking water. The recreation area serves a lot of fishermen and day-trippers, but there is camping (with amenities, but still no shower, for those keeping score), and I stayed two nights.

May 8 I spent at the Getty Museum, which did not exist when I was last in Los Angeles in 1985. Any semi-avid museum-goer should come here; it is well worth the time. One interesting piece of outdoor art reminded me of another that is closer to home -- see adjacent pictures and their floating tips if you're confused.

Tne next day I went to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, which is also a highly worthwhile place to visit. (I also looked in the La Brea Tar Pits on the grounds; there was no active digging going on.) That evening I checked into the Custom Hotel, a somewhat trendy-looking hotel not far from LAX, as I had an early flight the following morning. In the evening I went to Westwood, to revisit some of my old stomping ground; it had clearly changed significantly.

The hotel lobby featured an unusual type of, umm, seating? Play objects? You tell me...

The return flight was uneventful. Home again!

No comments: