Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Road Trip, Indiana

In driving from Wheaton, IL, to Bloomington, IN, I discovered just how flat parts of Illinois really are. Let's just say that you can drive at highway speeds on county roads (except in the villages -- slow down, folks). I had a decent, if unexciting crepe for lunch in downtown Champaign, Illinois.

Bloomington is home to the main campus of Indiana University. It's also home to Allisson and John and Belinda and Julia, which was why I went there. Allisson and I have a history that goes back to mutual friends we each met while (separately) at Syracuse University. We've generally only seen each other at weddings and funerals, so I thought a visit was in order, especially after the arrival of Zilla and the Bird aka Belinda and Julia, now about 1.5 years old. Given the nature of small children and their oft-frazzled parents, the visit was predictably low-key.

We had a lovely dinner and beer at Lennie's (thanks Allisson!) on Thursday night. Friday we managed to get out to the Encore Cafe for lunch. These two options showed that the Midwest is not completely devoid of eating possibilities for us vegetarians. (See my previous entry, where I mention the food offerings at Cedar Point's.)
After lunch we had a leisurely stroll around parts of the nearby McCormick's Creek State Park, punctuated by overly-difficult (and eventually abandoned) stream crossings, and an extended visit to the playground.

Fortunately I remembered to take a few pictures before I left.


Belinda liked my phone, so I took her picture with it.

Belinda liked the camera too

Allisson and Julia

Sorry, no room for John...(hey thanks for taking the pic tho')


Saturday was taken up by a long drive from Bloomington to my Dad's outside Philadelphia.

1 comment:

Mark said...

Brain fart. Will tak speeling (and redding) lesons now.