Thursday, October 13, 2005

Road Trip, Maryland and Pennsylvania

Driving last Saturday might not have been the swiftest move in some parts of the country due to the heavy rains, but I was blessed by not encountering much of it until I got into Pennsylvania. Even then, it wasn't much of a problem until it got dark. Dad was reached around 10PM, safe and sound.

On Sunday morning, I drove down to the suburbs of Baltimore to visit Alex, an old high-school buddy I've not seen in many years. (Our last encounter was when we were both in graduate school, I was at UCLA, pretending to work on a master's in Computer Science, and he was at U of Hawaii studying astronomy, which he seems to have parlayed into a good career.) He and I were both French Horn players in school, something I let go, while hanging on to the piano. So the first thing we had to do was play some music -- the Beethoven Horn Sonata being within both our abilities to mangle. We had an otherwise enjoyable afternoon, meeting his wife and son in the bargain.

On Monday, my dad and I went to Pennsylvania's Washington Crossing State Park, which most of the Americans reading this will probably understand (curious non-Americans are invited to follow the links to see why this place is important). We did NOT get to New Jersey's park, even though it was not that far away...

In the evening we drove into Philadelphia to see an 1807 and Friends chamber music concert, which was fairly enjoyable, even if there were occasional balance issues with the piano in quiet passages...

The drive home on Tuesday was blissfully uneventful.

No comments: