Monday, June 18, 2007

Driving down the Appalachians

Saturday, June 16

Leave Cambridge 9:45. Arrive Pine Grove Furnace State Park (PA) about 6:15. In between I noticed that Russell isn't the only one going to or through Newfoundland. (Newfoundland, PA is just east of Scranton.)

Unbeknownst to me, Pine Grove Furnace State Park is the semi-official 1/2-way point on the Appalachian Trail! I chatted with some through-hikers while there, and read the register. The camp store will give free 1/2 gallons of ice cream to anyone who can finish them (I think in some modest time period like 30 minutes or 1 hour.)

The reason for this state park's existence is that it was the site of an early iron works (18th century I believe). All that's left really is a large chimney-like structure.

Sunday, June 17

In the morning, I hiked up to a local vista (about 1 hour each way). The entire area is forested. After said hike, drove on to Gettysburg, about 25 miles away. Drove around the battlefield, which is studded with monuments and plaques show who did what to whom when, and where, as well as monuments placed by states or state-level organizations to commemorate their fallen. On both sides, of course.

From Gettysburg, drove on the Harper's Ferry, WV, where I wandered down to the river (Shenandoah, I believe) for a view and some lunch. Drove on (and on), eventually picking up I-81 down the Shenandoah Valley. Got off near Natural Bridge, spent the night at a campground just off the Blue Ridge Parkway.



No comments: