Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Hearst Castle has a view?

Monday, March 2 began as a somewhat gray, damp, and at times rainy day. This in a state that has been experiencing drought for the last two years. OK....
















The day's activities started with the rental-car equivalent of repairs. Yesterday, the Vibe's windshield got dinged, and a small crack had formed. Having had previous experience with things like this, I knew that small windshield cracks get bigger, so I made my way to the Avis counter at the San Luis Obispo Airport, where I traded the Vibe in for a red Ford Focus. Note to self (and others): I've always had good service from Avis, even though they cost more than other rental companies.

The pleasantries over with, I made my way up Route 1 toward San Simeon. En route, I decided to stop at Moonstone Beach in Cambria, where I took a walk on (and off) the boardwalk, and photographed some wildlife.

From Moonstone, I continued north until I reached San Simeon and the visitor's center for the Hearst San Simeon State Historical Landmark, aka the Hearst Castle. I quickly booked two of the three available tours (discount for buying more than one!), and had barely time to wolf down a slice of pizza before the first one left.

It has been alleged that there is a view from the Hearst Castle; I wouldn't know it (see first picture). Given that it was either raining or in-cloud during both tours, I didn't get to experience the full effect the alleged view presumably offers. Due to the usual sorts of restrictions on photography (no flash, and so on), most of my attempted photos didn't work. But a few made it...

The first tour, recommendeded for first-timers at the castle, goes through one of the guest houses, and then through the main rooms in the castle itself, ending up in the somewhat spectacular pool house, complete with gold-inlaid mosaic floors.

The second tour goes through the upper levels of the castle, including Hearst's private quarters (where the lamp pictured is located).

Following the tours, I trundled on over to San Simeon State Park, where I actually experienced some sunshine. Fortunately, this coincided with setting up camp, and dining, although clouds did set in again. The tent got rained on again that night.

No comments: