Sunday, September 04, 2005

Toledo, and how to catch a train

Toledo is a medieval city a short (1+ hour) train ride from Madrid. It is situated on some high ground near the confluence of two rivers.




I basically just wandered about the city, which is a maze of narrow streets, occasionally punctuated by small plazas. There is one main largish plaza which I suppose qualifies as the "center" of town, even though it's near one end of the town, and another decent-sized one near the cathedral.

Toledo is known for having a large number of paintings by (and a museum featuring the works of) the painter known as El Greco. Since I'm not a much of a fan of his, I didn't pursue these possibilities. In fact, the only attraction of sorts I went into was the local mezquita (mosque converted to church).




The other surprise was that Toledo has a somewhat interesting train station. It appears to have a church as part of the structure, but there's a fair amount of typical mudejar styling at work there.


(Go figure, stained glass in a small train station.)


I then had a bit of a travel near-ooops. The same day I went to Toledo, I was also scheduled for the night train from Madrid to Paris. However, I had (stupidly?) neglected to remember exactly when the night train left Madrid. I returned from Toledo to Madrid, and spent some more time walking in Madrid (and having a bite at Ben and Jerry's). I finally returned to hotel around 6:30 to pick up my bags and head (early, I thought) to the train station.

Train departure time was: 7:00

Uh-oh.

I'm glad it was Sunday, and I was right near a taxi queue. I'd have never made it in time on the subway. The train pulled out 5 minutes after I got on board.

Adios, España.

No comments: