Monday, March 31, 2008

Alamogordo: Dog Canyon






Before the interruption, I was in the area near Alamogordo, New Mexico. I camped at Oliver Lee State Park, in the shadow of the Sacramento Mountains. The park is south of the city, the mountains are to its west. This place was the jumping off point for a hike into Dog Canyon.

The astute will note that I was in a different Dog Canyon earlier this trip.

The night before the hike, I enjoyed a beautiful sunset, and the company of some quail.










The trail wasn't too difficult, and it provided a nice set of views. The total elevation change was about 3000 feet, but I didn't carry a full load to the top. I chose a camp site about 2000 feet up, from which I caught a very interesting view of the White Sands blowing up a storm in the basin below.

After an uneventful night under the stars (I decided to forgo the tent), I returned down to the park.

(Coming soon: accounts of the Gila Wilderness...)

No comments: