Thursday, November 23, 2006

Missed connections strike again

So my plan for today had been to catch a bus to the mountain town of Putre. The lady at the tourist office told me it left at 7. I get up early, I'm there shortly before 7. Bus has been gone for a while.

Qué?

Turns out it left at 6:30. Arrgh. I am not spending another day in Arica. It's nice, but I feel like I've explored it well enough, thanks.

So I grab a cab to the airport. A few too many dollars later (not to mention sitting in the airport for a few hours) I'm on a plane bound for Santiago. I get to sit next to two older Aussie ladies, the first native English I've heard in almost 4 days. We trade reading material -- one Asimov's SF mag for a murder mystery set in Baxter Park Maine. It's a page turner -- three hour flight, 3/4 finished.

My consolation is that when a similar thing (missed bus) happened to me in Spain, I didn't have any really good alternatives lined up. I must be learning something.

I'm staying near the University of Chile in a small area known as Paris-Londres. It was developed in the 19th century as a sort of "Paris, small streets" area. Very pretty on the outside. The interior decor of this hotel is more cheap-70s wood panel, though. One place that was booked full had a really nice old-hotel look to it. I may try to stay there on my way back...

Time for dinner! Hasta luego!

Trip Directory Trip Directory Next Trip Page

No comments: