Sunday, November 26, 2006

Pucón, a nicer version of Lincoln NH

After wandering the city of Santiago yesterday (including a very nice visit to the summit of Cerro Santa Lucía, and also to Parque Quinta Normal, two of the nicer parks in this city of parks), I made my way to one of Santiago's four bus terminals (go figure), and took a night bus to Temuco, a roughly 8-hour drive. Temuco was just a bus-changing point for me on the highway -- about 20 minutes after arriving around 6 AM I was on a bus to Pucón. (That's "poo-kon'" to you.)


The countryside here reminds me of rural upstate New York. Finger Lakes, say. But they have a somewhat distinctive architectural style here. Lots of wood and stone. Think, oh, Adirondack meets Swiss chalet. It works pretty well, and they seem to flog the style in the stores here, just like in the Adirondacks.

Pucón is a small town, completely dedicated to outdoor fun. The main town is fairly compact (can be walked in less than 10 minutes), but is full of an array of restaurants, shops, and outdoor activity operators. The hot item these days seems to be going on ropes through tree canopies, judging by what's being flogged. Also available: white-water rafting and kayaking, lake tours, park tours (more on that later), and volcano climbing.
 

Volcano climbing. Uh huh.

This is in what is known as the Lakes region of Chile. Pucón is on the shores of Lake Villarrica. Looming overhead is 2980+ meter Volcán Villarrica, one of Chile's more active volcanos. As I sit here typing, it occasionally puffs steam.

And you can climb it. With guides. Just about every day. And see the lava bubbling in the crater.

OK, there are a few issues here. One, I've never been on a volcano. That close. Two, I've never done ice axe and crampons. The touts say this is a non-technical climb, don't worry.

So I'm not. That's Patience's job anyway.

Before I go (or try to, conditions permitting), I will be spending a few days in Parque Nacional Huerquehue (whose name is impossible to pronounce correctly) camping. It has lakes and views and camping, oh my.

I'll next check in on Wednesday. Hasta luego!

Trip Directory Trip Directory Next Trip Page

No comments: