Friday, April 18, 2008

The Gila Catwalk

Now that I'm back from my wonderful week in the Grand Canyon, I can continue the story...(the Grand Canyon pictures will come in due course, but there's plenty to tell before then).




After my trek through the middle of the Gila Wilderness, I headed towards Arizona. However, I took a few hours to visit the Catwalk on the western edge of the Gila. This suspension bridge and suspended walkway are a re-envisioning of access to this narrow canyon, through which mining was done at one time. After mining operations ended, the CCC was called in to turn the area into a recreational opportunity. The suspended walkway and suspension bridge are relatively modern replacements for all of these earlier efforts. The walk up to the top took about an hour, and is ADA-compliant for the lower section.



After hiking the catwalk, I stopped for a picnic lunch, and had another lovely view of the Gila before finally heading off into Arizona.

No comments: