Saturday, April 26, 2008

Tonto Natural Bridge

En route to the Phoenix area, I visited the Casa Grande National Monument, which is a small site containing a multi-story Hohokam structure. It is not actually in the city of Casa Grande, where I spent a night.
I also spent a night at the Lost Dutchman State Park in the hills east of Phoenix (pictured at left).








Rather than fly up I-17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff, I decided to take a more scenic route through the forested hills northeast of Phoenix. These roads brought me to the Tonto Natural Bridge State Park, home to "the largest travertine bridge in the world". It's wide and long enough to support a picnic area. There are no really great viewing platforms, despite the park's best efforts. The length and width of the bridge actually make it kind of hard to capture well.



Flagstaff! (Well, the San Francisco peaks, including Mount Humphreys, which was a bit snowy to summit...)

No comments: