Friday, July 29, 2005

The Rodin and the Orsay

After descending the Eiffel Tower, I made my way towards the Rodin Museum, stopping to photograph a lovely fruit stand, and a few more pictures from ground level of the Hotel des Invalides.

Once at the Rodin Museum, I enjoyed the grounds, which of course have plenty of sculpture...



They even have an interesting flower garden.

I also took pictures inside, where there's also some very nice sculpture.



This one (The Tempest, I believe it is called) is just incredible.

From the Rodin, it was a relatively short walk to the Orsay.

The Orsay is an old train station that was saved from the wrecking ball in the 1970s and turned into the home of much of Paris' Impressionist collection. It also has some sculpture, in keeping with a theme in this blog. But the building is a star in its own right.



At the end of the day, I made my farewells from Eric and Claire, and hopped the Paris Metro to the Gare d'Austerlitz to catch an overnight train to Barcelona.

Next post may not be for a week or so -- the archaeology dig adventure begins today. Still in the queue: Barcelona, and three days of hiking in the Sierra Nevada. Stay tuned!

No comments: