Sunday, July 17, 2005

Tampere, and fuel leaks

So I arrive at the lovely (NOT!) Tampere airport around 6 PM, catch the RyanAir-supplied bus to the train station, and walk the long block to my hotel. I am nagged by the sense that something doesn't smell right.
In the room, I confirm. One of the fuel (aka BEER) cans in the pack broke en route. Fortunately, I had taken precautions against things getting wet, so the damage was limited to throwing out some beer-soaked plastic bags, and washing out a few articles of clothing.
On the other hand, the PACK itself smells a bit of stale beer, even after repeated cleaning forays over the next few days.
After dealing with this, I get out of the hotel and walk a bit of the city. It's Friday night, and the Finns are drinking. Everywhere. They've apparently never heard of open container laws. I get dinner at a nice Italian restaurant. This was apparently a wise move, as the next few days will expose me to what passes for Finnish cuisine.
Tampere is an old textile mill town (perhaps a European version of Lowell). I took a few pictures before I left:




No comments: